Small Town Photojournalism

A Photo Blog by Matthew Jonas

Angst for the Memories Evergreen

with 5 comments

© Matthew Jonas 2012/Evergreen Newspapers 2012

“Can you be here Monday?”

In August of 2007, I got a phone call from a former college instructor that would start my career in photojournalism. In the span of a couple days, I packed up everything I owned and drove 1700 miles back to Colorado in just under 24 hours.

I was excited to have landed my first staff job. I hit the ground running. I dove into every opportunity that I had. And as much as I complained (what else are photographers good at?), I enjoyed every second of it.

So here I am 4 1/2 years later about to take the next step in my career. You might be asking yourself, what does this have to do with a goose?

The picture above requires a little explanation. I made it on one of my last assignments for the Canyon Courier. I did my best to capture the longing ‘Nita had for her recently deceased mate, Pedro. Yes, you read that correctly. The story I was working on is about a grieving goose and her quest for a new mate.

In a way I can kind of understand the feeling. After years of working the same area, with the same reporters and building relationships within the community, I too will feel like part of my life is missing.

As I start my new position at the Longmont Times-Call, I will work to build new relationships and fill that part of my life again. I understand that it’s going to be tough at first. However, I am looking forward to the challenges ahead.

I will use every experience, every relationship, every failure and every victory from my time at Evergreen Newspapers and build up from there. Thanks to everyone who made my work at the paper possible.

So long Evergreen. It was fun. Angst for the memories.

About these ads

Written by Matthew Jonas

February 3, 2012 at 11:39 am

5 Responses

1. Oh, memories. . . I remember that summer day at the beach house in Virginia, selling you on the idea of joining me and the rest of Doug’s crew of Metro State alum at up there at Evergreen. Seems so long ago.

Good on ya for taking the next step. You are still among the finest photojournalists I have ever known.

matt

February 3, 2012 at 11:55 am

• Thanks man. I really appreciate it. I remember the time at the beach house. It seems like such a short time ago. 4 1/2 years really flies by.

Matthew Jonas

February 3, 2012 at 11:59 am

2. This feels like a son leaving home.

You are on your way.

Remember:

Stay small so your subjects are big.

Subject matter in photojournalism is critical because subjects matter.

Different is not the same and same is not different.

Now… go out and make a difference.

Kenn Bisio

February 5, 2012 at 10:33 am

3. I’m truly sorry to see you leave, but Evergreen’s loss is Longmont’s gain.

I’ve enjoyed your photography over these years. As an aspiring sports photographer myself, I’ve admired your work and tried to learn from it. Good luck in this new phase of your life.

Roger Hassell

February 16, 2012 at 2:24 pm

• Thanks to everyone who made pictures possible while I was in Evergreen. It was quite the experience.

Matthew Jonas