- HDR. Congratulations. Your talent is in using Photoshop not in using a camera. High Dynamic Range looks unnatural and needs to go the way of the dinosaur.
- Over-toning images in sports photojournalism contests. Stop boosting the saturation on your sports images to obscene, Willy-Wonka-like levels. It doesn’t make your lack of composition or lack of ability to capture peak sports action any less obvious. You shoot digital, not Velvia.
- Shooting everything at f1.2. Great. Another picture of a door knob shot at f1 point something. You paid a lot for your 50mm. Don’t be afraid to stop down every once in while, would ya?
- Back lit outdoor portraits. Its the only image I see on wedding and senior picture portfolios these days. Give it a rest. Try lighting a portrait or even better yet turn around and use the best available light there is – the sun.
- Verticals. Happy new year!